9/21/2014

Tine Sews: Scuba Skirt And Shirt

When I was on holiday in the beginning of September I also stopped in London, because I found a good flight to the South of France from London. Of course I needed to go fabric shopping there, despite travelling with a backpack only. So the amazing Charlie from This Blog is not for you was not only so kind to host me, she also showed me the famous Walthamstow Market in the east of London and together we found some bargains. One fabric that I got was this scuba jersey printed with roses and as soon as I came home I sewed up a skirt and matching shirt from the 1 meter that I got. I was quite surprised that all the pattern pieces fitted on the 1 meter by 1,5 meter piece, but it worked out and so I got myself this lovely ensemble.
 
The skirt is a simple pencil skirt that I made using an old pattern. About six years ago I could fit that pattern in a woven fabric, but nowaday with my more womanly figure I can only use it for fabrics with stretch. I'm totally fine with that.
























The shirt was made using the free pattern from the German edition of the book belonging to the first season of The Great British Sewing Bee. In Germany you can get the patterns on this website.
 
I serged all seams and then stitched over the beginning and end of the seams with a zig zag stitch to prevent the opening of the seams.                                                                                                                            
The print is a colourful, probably digitally printed rose motif on a dark background. 
I was immediately drawn to the fabric, as I believe that I've seen a similar fabric used on a very expensive wetsuit from an American designer.
 
The skirt has a small waistband that I serged to the front and back and then secured with a row of zig zag stitches.
 
It's a good length, flirty but not too short.


Both of the pieces can also be worn as seperates, either pairing them with a dark sweater or a black mini-skirt.
The shoes I'm wearing in the first pictures are my new Victoria sneakers, which I got in Biarritz. They are from a Spanish brand that still manufactures in Spain. In the shop it was the last pair in my size and the shop assistant had to get the second shoe from the window decoration, but I'm very happy about finding them as I needed shoes to replace my worn out Vans that I go three years ago in San Francisco. I like to buy shoes on holiday as a memory of the trip.

2 Kommentare:

  1. Toller Print, so schön farbenfroh! Sowohl als Zweiteiler als auch alleine getragen ist jedes Teil ein absoluter Hingucker! War es schwierig das Scuba-Material zu nähen?

    Liebe Grüße
    Julia

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hallo Julia,
    das Scuba-Material ist absolutes Anfängermaterial. Schneidet sich sehr gut und franst kaum aus. Ich habe die Kanten einfach offen gelassen. Die restlichen Nähte habe ich mit Overlock und Zickzackstich an der normalen Nähmaschine genäht und das ging problemlos.
    Bin schon auf der Suche nach neuem Scuba-Material. Leider findet man selten welches mit Print.

    Liebe Grüße
    Tine

    AntwortenLöschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...