7/08/2012

Sewing according to plan?

Today I wanted to sew a top I've made a couple of times already. I wanted to have one piece in a patterned fabric and one piece plain black. I started cutting into the fabric and when I was finished I realize that I had mixed up the fabrics. Instead of cutting the upper part in black jersey, as I intended it when I bought the fabric I had cut the patterned fabric. So I quickly needed to change the plan and this is what I made instead.

I used the Sorbetto pattern from Colette as a starting point and used it for the upper part. Then I attached a rectangle to the front and back. Where the black and patterned fabric met, I made a casing for an elastic thread. I had some trouble pulling the elastic through, but in the end it worked out. The bodice was a bit roomy and unflattering so I folded over the edges and zigzaged them into place. Then I inserted an elastic there as well. Now it fits perfectly, even the darts are in the right place.
When I was finished I had about four metres of black thread left on the cone! Which means that for all the projects I made in the past 48 hours, I used about 200 metres of black thread!
The sewing of the top took about two and a half hours including the cutting. The Sorbetto pattern is great because it is so versatile and fits perfectly even in bigger sizes.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description: From the Coletterie blog:
With its ultra simple construction (just two pattern pieces plus some bias tape, and no closures needed), elegant loose cut shaped with bust darts, and the box pleat detail down the front, this is a pattern you can throw together in a huge range of fabrics for summer.
Sizing: 0-18 I cut an 18 and used an extra 1.5 cm seam allowance, though it is already included in the pattern.
Fabric Used: Black jersey from Alfatex, elastic printed Polyester from Alfatex. Get similar here.
Needle/Notions Used: Universal 70/10 needle, Gütermann thread, elastic thread
Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? Similar yes, but I only used it for the bodice.
How were the instructions? They were good. This pattern goes together very well, and the instructions are quite clear. I only used the instructions when I made the pattern for the first time.

1 Kommentar:

  1. I don't know what you had in mind originally but this dress turned out great, the patterned fabric is pretty and I like the combination with the black. If I saw it in a store I'd probably buy it!

    AntwortenLöschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...